LTE Juggernaut rolls in!

LTE or Long Term Evolution a 3.9G technology that is based on OFDMA based air interface is finally getting its due diligence with Verizon announcing today that it is launching its new network on December 5th by offering a couple of LTE-capable USB sticks. The service will begin in 38 major metropolitan areas and 60 major commercial airports.

By announcing the Dec. 5 launch, Verizon Wireless beat its own deadline, which was originally the end of December. The LTE service, which Verizon Wireless is calling its “4G” service in line with what has become industry marketing practice, will produce download speeds from 5 to 12 megabits per second, and upload speeds of 2 to 5 megabits per second. This is somewhat faster than the Sprint/Clearwire version of 4G and slightly slower than the T-Mobile version. The company predicts that it will be the largest 4G network in the United States when it goes live.

As expected, Clearwire and T-Mobile disagree. Shortly after the Verizon Wireless anno..

Clearwire Spectrum Auction – a bad idea!

The recent reports in the Industry about Clearwire looking for suitors to divest itself of its spectrum holdings, has created a buzz for the top 4 carriers including Sprint. Will Clearwire sell its goose which lays the golden eggs? Only time will tell and it remains to be seen if the partners will rush to provide the much needed $5 Billion in cash that Clearwire needs to further its footprint and deploy an LTE network.

While Clearwire’s success as a standalone entity certainly faces many challenges in the market it competes in, the company’s depth and breadth of spectrum holdings assures that it will be a leader in the wireless data revolution both now and in the near future, as more mobile users seek available airwaves for their increasing communications needs. In a nation facing a “spectrum crisis,” Clearwire stands alone in having enough available airwaves to build a “network of networks,” both now and as far into the future as its builders can see. According to Bloomberg repor..

IPV6 – Why we need it today!

The switch to IPV6 has been slow for many of us in the IT realm in the US. We have been talking about it as a looming threat but the efforts till date have been minimal. With the advent of LTE/WiMAX in the horizon the limits might be reached sooner than thought. When mobile devices will be assigned an IP address instead of just a PDP (packet data protocol) session as in the earlier wireless-G’s (2G/3G), the IPv4 addresses will run out very fast. But this doesn’t seem to bother the Wireless ISPs or the Telecom providers. It remains to be seen when the digital switch happens, and how it happens? 

But till then for very obvious reasons, organizations and government agencies in the United States which use approximately 60 percent of the available IPv4 address space will remain dormant. The remaining 40 percent is shared by the rest of the world. Of the 6.4 billion people in the world, approximately 330 million live in North America, 807 million in Europe, and 3.6 billion in Asia. ..

Stop Copying Plugin made by VLC Media Player